Malenka Warner | Search & Social Strategy
OK, so I’m not going to keep you in suspense – Here is the secret:
If you are trying to increase your website rankings, then work to create a website that is the highest grade site of its kind. Make sure the site pulls in users, engaging them in ways to interact with your site, and that your site also enables folks to tell others about their interaction.
Disappointed? Were you perhaps expecting that I would give you an outline of steps? Well, the difficulty in outlining the steps is that SEO strategy is not a one-size fits all type of proposition.
In any SEO initiative, the goal will vary based on your business goals. Are you going for raw traffic, sales, branding, lead acquisition, reputation management? Are you looking at desktop or mobile SEO? The question should always start with, “What is our business goal?” You have to measure what matters most, so deciding on your goals will affect the steps involved in achieving those goals.
It’s easy to get lost in these woods, and if you aren’t thoughtful and purposeful in your approach, you are likely to find yourself not being able to see the forest for the trees.
But yes, there are some best practices to consider as we head into 2013:
- Focus on your audience, and providing unique and informative, quality content.
- Take a look at your URL structure. Logical nomenclature is best. Not sure what that means? Then go to Google and type in "typography". Now ‘study’ the URL structures in the SERP.
- In terms of site design and architecture, make sure that your presentation makes it easy to access your information from any device, and that your site is built for efficient loading within browsers.
- Make your page titles relevant to the content on the page.
- META tags: While the different search engines figure these differently in their algorithms, you should still make sure that your descriptions and keywords are as relevant and unique as possible on each page.
- Go ahead, be bold! There is no way to calculate what SERPs (search engine results pages) will look like in six months, but move with purpose toward a goal. If your measurements aren’t demonstrating movement in the right direction – change your tactics.
- Resist the ready, fire, aim approach. Instead focus on a ready, take precise aim at a specific target, fire – then measure approach!
There are as many different ways to develop an SEO strategy as there are different companies. So focus first on ensuring that your site is the best it can be! Then develop your strategy for the smartest impact on your business goals!